- What can be burned: ONLY unpainted and untreated wood products, leaves and brush may be burned.
- You may not Burn: Plywood, Painted, treated or finished wood, Plastics, Rubber (tires), Cardboard or paper.
- All Fires must be attended at all times, an extinguishment method should be readily available (hose / fire extinguisher / etc.) and all fires must be completely extinguished before leaving them unattended.
- Campfires are small fires used for cooking and/or warmth.
- Campfires need to be confined by a Fire Pit, Ring, or other non-combustible containment method.
- Campfires are less than a 4ft in diameter
- Campfires do not require a Burn Permit.
All other Fires requires a Burn Permit
- Burning is only permitted during daylight hours.
- Burn Permits will not be issued during a Red Flag Warning
- Burn Permits will not be issued when Fire Danger is a MODERATE (class 3) or above.
- Burn Permits are issued at the discretion of the Fire Warden, not the Fire Department, There are many factors in why the warden may / may not issue a burn permit. A low Fire Danger does not guarantee a permit will be issued.
To obtain a burn permit in
South Hero, Vermont
South Hero Town Clerk
For the current Forest Fire Warden, Check:
Vermont Department of Forestry, Parks, and Recreation
Grand Isle County Fire Wardens